One Man's Thoughts on Sports Card Collecting

Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Double Diamond Post

So I'm finally back here at the blog after a 3-week hiatus!  I've been so ridiculously busy that I just haven't had time to do any updates (well, that and I haven't had much money to spend on cards the past few weeks either).  I expect to get back in the swing of things now, so let's get to it!
As the title would suggest, this post involves two different types of diamonds.  First, the non-cardboard variety - one of the things that has kept me so occupied the last few weeks is that I got engaged to my lovely girlfriend Jo.  How she puts up with me I don't know, but I'm glad she said yes. :) Thankfully she shares in my baseball card and Rock Band addictions, so that makes life a lot easier!

Now on to those other diamonds - the Platinum Diamond set that has so captured my card collecting attention this year.  I managed to pick up 2 more lots off of eBay at a good price.  As I mentioned in my last post, I was worried that it would be hard to buy lots of any size without having to take on a lot of duplicates, but I managed to get these with only a handful of doubles.  The other pleasant surprise was which players were included in these lots.  Most of the lots of 20 or more cards contain mostly the very common players.  That's fine enough as I'm building the whole set, but I was afraid that I would end up with 90% of the set completed and the remaining 10% being all the star players, and that I would end up paying a few bucks each for them.  But as you'll see, these 2 lots brought some nice star power:

Not bad at all!  In addition, I managed to add doubles of Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Alcides Escobar and Jonathan Lucroy for my Brewer collection.  A very nice haul for what I paid!  That brings me to 310 out of 660 for my Platinum Diamond set.

Previous Trivia Question:

On August 25, 1922, the Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies set a record for most combined runs in a single game. How many did they score?

A: They combined for 49 runs as the Cubs bested the Phils, 26-23.

Today's Trivia Question:

The Common Card Man wishes Derek Jeter belated congratulations on his 3000th hit.  He was the second man to hit a home run for his 3000th (Wade Boggs is the other).  Who is the only player to hit a triple for his 3000th hit? 

1 comment:

  1. I like the horizontal Halladay.

    I think the answer to your question is Paul Molitor, but I;m not sure.