One Man's Thoughts on Sports Card Collecting

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Platinum Diamond Quest Continues

My past experience in building sets has led me to the conclusion that if I'm going to be successful in building a complete 990-card set of Platinum Diamonds I'm going to have to shell out for some big lots now while they are still readily available.  If I wait too long the big lots will no doubt become few and far between as collectors move on to Football cards or other Baseball sets.

With that in mind, I managed to score a nice 76-card lot of Diamonds off of eBay for $45.  It was mainly lesser players, but there were a few stars, including a nice Ichiro checklist:



The big lots are something of a double-edged sword though, because now that I kickstarted my Series 2 collection with 76 cards it will probably be hard to find another big lot that won't include a lot of doubles of ones I already have...

As always, I welcome any trade proposals to add to my collection. I may be buying a box of Series 2 soon, and I know a lot of you out there will be looking for the Kimball Champions cards.

Previous  Trivia Question:

Who threw baseball's only (known) LSD-assisted no-hitter?
 
Answer:  On June 12, 1970, Pittsburgh's Dock Ellis no-hit the San Diego Padres.  Years later he admitted to being high as a kite on LSD for that game.  Here's a funny animated video of Ellis recounting the game:
 
 
To steal a line from a book I'm currently reading, it was a fitting accomplishment for a man whose name can be written as "Ellis, D."  :)
 
Today's Trivia Question:
 
On August 25, 1922, the Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies set a record for most combined runs in a single game.  How many did they score?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment