One Man's Thoughts on Sports Card Collecting

Monday, February 20, 2012

A Non-Topps Gold Rush

Jo got me a cool gift for Christmas that I never got around to posting - a set of 23 karat gold cards!  They were a specially produced set of 4 made during the middle of the 1998 season called "Chasing 61 HRs". As you might have guessed, the set featured the three players after Maris' record at that time - McGwire, Sosa, and my boy Griffey!



The signature and name stamped on the front of the card are done in a sparkly foil.  There were 9861 sets made ('98, chasing 61), and each comes with a certificate of authenticity.
That wasn't the only card Griffey showed up on:


WE SEE YOU LOOKING AT US.

I actually have 2 other gold Griffeys in my collection already, I'll have to post them another time.

Previous  Trivia Question:

Who holds the record for most instances of homering from both sides of the plate in the same game with 12?
 
Answer: The Yankees' Mark Texiera is the owner of that record.
 
Today's Trivia Question:
 
On September 14, 1987, the Toronto Blue Jays set a record for most home runs in a game by one team.  How many did they hit?

No comments:

Post a Comment